Back To School, Inspiration-Indie

I'm of course on of those suckers for the Indian inspired trends. Something about the simplicity and unique way the things are created make them extremely genuine to me, despite the fact that I have not a drop of indian blood. Another thing that interests me about the Indian culture in general is their ornate symbols with strong traditional meanings. After reading the book, A Thousand White Women, which my grandma suggested, I feel a sort of connection with the Indian heritage and have obtained a great appreciation for their culture. One aspect that really stayed with me throughout the book was their ability to look past selfishness and instead respect the whole natural aspect of life by only taking what is necessary-something which in these times is drastically overlooked. The spiritual connection they have takes in consideration for everything around them which is also something that most people often don't think about. Minnetonka moccasins created quite the stir in my area, since I live in Minnetonka, as people actually began to buy them again. Buyers love their practical durability and the fact that they are very comfortable. I have a pair which I bought for the school season last year and I was actually surprised how often I ended up wearing them. Another Indian inspired item I adore are the dream catchers. Meant to ward off a bad nights sleep and horrible dreams, they're actually quite pretty looking. My good friend Sam even started wearing them around like a necklace. He got lots of compliments and I wouldn't be surprised if more people began doing the same thing. So if your looking for a new look that expresses the love of mother nature, of all the struggling Indian tribes, and also of comfort and practicality, this could be your look.
And for those of you that don't see wearing fashion-photography type outfits appearing in your wardrobe any time soon but still love the idea of some indian based essentials, I would recommend a stop at your nearest H&M store. I found a few really cool indie-type dresses and tunics for amazing prices that would do the trick. Also look out for anything turquoise, its a really complementary color that adds some pop to any outfit--recently I bought Essies color Turquoise & Ciacos...let's just say I love it. Also as said before, mocks are great, affordable. Look out as well for things with cool tribal prints such as scarves because that could really spice up your back to school wardrobe as well! But until then, soak up the rest of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment